GW Carver Middle School
4901 Lincoln Drive
Miami, Florida 33133
German IS Program Since: 1989
German Grades: 6th through 8th
Total Students at School: 1,000
German Students: 170
George Washington Carver Middle School is a Nationally Certified Magnet School of Excellence. The school was established in 1951 and the German program was introduced in 1989.
GW Carver offers both International Education (IE) and the International Studies (IS) programs in German, French, Spanish and Italian to students in sixth, seventh and eighth grades. German courses are taught by native German speakers, and students additionally receive advanced instruction in mathematics, English and natural sciences. All eighth grade students enrolled in the German IS program take German at the Advanced Placement (AP) level, which leads to the AP examination. Carver students enjoy a true middle school experience complete with clubs, after-school sports and exciting field trips.
GW Carver’s teachers and students hail from over 30 different countries, which means students are immersed in an international experience both inside and outside of the classroom every single day. The global mindset is reinforced throughout the school year with fun, internationally-focused events.
Awards & Recognition
- Nationally Certified Magnet School of Excellence — 2016, 2017
- MDCPS Golden School Award — 2017
- Florida Department of Education — Five Star School Award 2015-2016 school year
- Listed in the top 100 Middle Schools in the State of Florida 2018
- Attendance is top ranked in Miami-Dade County Middle Schools
- Students regularly place first or second in state-wide competitions, and complete at the high school level in foreign language
- Florida School Recognition Award — 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017
IMPORTANT NOTE: German IS students enrolled at GW Carver Middle School have direct articulation into the German IB program at Coral Reef High School. However, to ensure they meet the minimum requirements, Miami-Dade County requires all students to submit an application to Coral Reef through the regular Magnet Schools application process.