Looking for a Few Good Volunteers!
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
The German language program in our four schools exists because of parent volunteers who selflessly donate their time, talent and experience in a multitude of ways to keep the program going strong for our kids!
GIPA is currently seeking volunteers for the 2019-20 school year for the roles listed below. (Click on the “+” sign next to each role to open the description.) If you are a current GIPA parent and are interested in filling one of these roles, please email email@example.com.
The GIPA Communications Manager is one of three Executive Board positions within the organization (in addition to the President and the VP/Treasurer). The Communications Manager is responsible for all communications within the Board and oversees all Board communications with GIPA members.
The scope of work within the Board involves the planning of monthly Board meetings, General membership meetings, and any other special meetings that may be necessary from time to time, including any notifications, agendas and official minutes related to these meetings.
The responsibilities of the Communications Manager include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the GIPA President in the planning of monthly Board meetings, general membership meetings, and any other special meetings that may be necessary from time to time, including creating notifications and agendas and taking the official minutes related to these meetings;
- Maintaining an official record of all agendas and minutes, as well as copies of other documentation pertaining to the organization (e.g. ByLaws, incorporation documents, etc.);
- Overseeing the creation and/or proof-reading of announcements of GIPA events and activities that will be broadcast to members through the website, social media, email, newsletter, or other means;
- Overseeing the general activities of the Social Media Manager, Website Manager, GIPA Book Editor and Newsletter Editor to provide quality control and guidance where needed;
- Ensuring the timely communication of news and events to the membership in coordination with the school VPs, Social Media Manager, Website Manager, GIPA Book Editor, Newsletter Editor, as well as other distribution avenues;
- Responding to inquiries from prospective families interested in the German program at any of our schools by providing them with ample information related to their inquiry;
- Maintaining the GIPA Google calendar;
- Overseeing the annual election of the Executive Committee members at the Spring General Meeting, including the creation and tallying of the official ballots.
Required skills: The ideal candidate is someone with excellent organizational and communication skills who possesses a solid command of the English language such that he/she can accurately write and proof-read announcements, press releases, and articles for publication and distribution. The volunteer holding this position should also be available to attend all Board meetings, general membership meetings (usually in the fall and spring), as well as any special meetings of the executive committee, to ensure continuity in the maintenance of official records related to the notices, agendas and minutes of these meetings.
West Lab VP
The West Lab VP works closely with the GIPA Executive Board and the school’s administration to communicate the needs and concerns of the program. The VP is a primary contact and liaison for GIPA with the room parents and teachers, ensuring that needed messages and communication flow between all groups related to our German program’s activities and initiatives.
The Oktoberfest Chair oversees the event from start to finish and serves as the nerve center for all of the individuals involved in planning and implementing GIPA’s largest annual fundraiser.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Recruiting volunteers to be responsible for each area of the event, e.g. beverages, food, dessert, entertainment, tent rentals, etc.
- Communicating regularly with the volunteers responsible for each area to monitor progress, ensure tasks are being completed in a timely manner, and help to resolve any issues that may come up;
- Communicating regularly with the Board, escalating issues as needed;
- Attending all GIPA Board meetings in August, September and October.
Required Skills: Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to motivate a large team of volunteers. Prior event planning experience is a plus but not required.
GIPA Book Editor
The GIPA Book Editor is responsible for the overall content, production and sales of the annual memory book for the students of GIPA’s four German program schools.
The Editor is responsible for:
- Recruiting a team of volunteers to assist with advertising sales, book design, dedication and ad design, accounting, photography, and book sales (August – September);
- Creating the production timeline and communicating all deadlines to the Book staff (December);
- Proposing and finalizing the Book, dedication and advertisement pricing with the GIPA Board (December);
- Creating the Book order forms and sharing with the website manager for creation of the online order forms (January);
- Participating in cover design selection (December – January);
- Working with the Book designer to finalize the page layout (January);
- Communicating with the Communications Manager, Social Media Manager and school VPs to promote the Book (January – April);
- Keeping track of all Book, dedication and advertisement sales, both online and in person (January – April);
- Communicating with the Sponsorships team on complimentary sponsor advertisements (January – March);
- Communicating with all GIPA members and advertisers, sharing with them information on dedication and advertisement dimensions and file requirements, and reminding them and following up with them on all submission deadlines (January – April);
- Communicating regularly with the accountant and providing frequent updates to the GIPA Treasurer (January – April);
- Writing and/or editing all Book content (January – April);
- Coordinating with the school photographers and head German teachers to photograph the students and teachers of each school, and assisting the photographers as needed (January – March);
- Creating a repository of Google Photos albums of all GIPA students, events and activities for the book designer to access (January – April);
- Writing the preface to the Book (January – February);
- Reviewing drafts from the designer and providing changes/feedback in a timely manner (January – April);
- Communicating with the Memberships team to obtain the final list of members for inclusion in the Book (March);
- Receiving the print proof from the printer and reviewing it with the Book designer for quality (April – May);
- Selling Books in person in front of school and/or at spring GIPA events (May).
Required Skills: Excellent organizational and communications skills, including a solid command of the English language. Prior experience with editing and/or publications is a plus but not required.
The GIPA website manager is responsible for:
- Maintaining gipa.org, including updating the WordPress theme and all required plugins on a regular basis;
- Ensuring the accuracy of all content and updating it as needed;
- Posting news items on a regular basis, including creating a “feature image” for each news post in Photoshop;
- Updating the event page for GIPA events as the events come up;
- Updating the Board member pages;
- Creating new content pages as needed;
- Creating all online payment forms using the Caldera Forms plugin, and replicate them at the beginning of each school year or before each event (e.g. memberships, Oktoberfest, GIPA Book, Gala tickets, etc.);
- Downloading all payment form submissions on a weekly basis and send spreadsheets to the relevant team (e.g. Membership, Oktoberfest, Gala, etc.);
- Uploading weekly German homework;
- Assisting with the creation of emails and/or newsletters within Mailchimp.
Required Skills: Strong knowledge of WordPress CMS, including how to work with themes and plugins.
Preferred But Not Required: Working knowledge of Caldera Forms plugin; working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and a personal use license installed on your computer; knowledge of CSS.
The newsletter editor is responsible for:
- Soliciting news and photos about our German program from each of the school VPs and other Board members on a regular basis, as well as soliciting news from our partner organizations (i.e. GASC, GABC, German Consulate);
- Writing and/or proof-reading all content for publication in the newsletters;
- Laying out all news and photos in a newsletter format (e.g. in Microsoft Word or Adobe InDesign) which can be shared with our membership and partner organizations;
- Submitting the newsletter to the Communications Manager for approval and distribution to the membership and partner organizations.
Required Skills: Strong organizational and communication skills, including a solid command of the English language. Knowledge of how to use publication software (e.g. Adobe InDesign) is a plus but not a requirement.
Official School Photographer
The official school photographer is responsible for photographing all of the German program events and activities at their school and making those images available to the Communications team and GIPA Book Editor in a timely manner (via Google Photos albums). Additionally, the photographer will photograph each of the German program students in January/February for publication in the GIPA Book. The photographer may also be asked to help photograph GIPA-wide events such as Oktoberfest, the Gala, and the Spring Family Fun Day. Photos should be taken on a DSLR camera (e.g. Nikon, Sony, Canon) and not on a phone to ensure high quality images for use in printed materials.
Required skills: general knowledge of photography and how to use a camera; your own camera.
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Not receiving emails? Visit our troubleshooting page.
Copyright 2017-2020 The German School of South Florida, Inc. / dba German International Parent Association (GIPA)