GERMAN MAGNET SCHOOLS APPLICATION PROCESS
- The Magnet Schools application period runs from October 1st through January 15th.
- All magnet school applications must be submitted through the Miami-Dade County School District Magnet Application website. You will find detailed information on application and eligibility requirements on that website.
- School tours should be arranged through the main office of each school.
- Please note that Henry S. West Lab no longer admits new students to the German program.
A distinct advantage of the German IS program is that IS students enjoy priority articulation from elementary school to the middle and high school IS programs. However, to ensure that students meet the minimum requirements for each school, Miami-Dade County requires all currently enrolled German IS students to submit an application to the next school through the regular Magnet Schools application process.
While the German International Parents Association is happy to provide information on the magnet application process, it is important to note that we are not involved in admissions decisions. All applications are submitted to and reviewed by Miami-Dade County Public Schools District (MDCPS), and admissions decisions are made exclusively by MDCPS.
Please refer to the Miami-Dade County Magnet Schools website for deadlines and specific application requirements for each of the magnet schools.
- All applicants to a German International Studies (IS), German International Education (IE), or German International Baccalaureate (IB) program school must complete the online magnet schools application as well as schedule an in-person interview, which may include an entrance exam (oral and/or written).
- Successful applicants are admitted into the German program by lottery conducted by the Miami-Dade County Public School District. Admissions decisions are usually announced on March 15th of each year.
- Please note that Henry S. West Laboratory School is no longer admitting new students to the German program. Only Sunset Elementary School admits students to the German program in grades 1-5.
CONTINUING INTERNATIONAL STUDIES (IS) STUDENTS:
- German International Studies (IS) students who meet the minimum eligibility requirements to remain in the IS program will enjoy priority articulation from Sunset to GW Carver Middle, and from GW Carver and West Lab Middle to Coral Reef Senior High School.
- If you would like your child to continue in the German IS program (e.g. go from 5th grade at Sunset to 6th grade at GW Carver Middle), you must still submit a magnet application through the normal Magnet Schools application process. This indicates to the school district that you intend to continue with the IS German program and enables them to ensure that your child meets the minimum requirements of the next level of the program (e.g. minimum GPA and conduct scores).
- When you fill out the application, be sure to select German International Studies (IS). Do not select International Education (IE). The IE program is for students just beginning to learn German in 6th grade.
- You will be asked to select an interview/test date. However, your child does not need to interview or take a test again. This is a formality of the application process. Just pick an interview date and submit your application. MDCPS will see that your child is coming from Sunset/Carver Middle and will eventually delete the test date (you may or may not receive an email notification when they do that).
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Copyright 2019 The German School of South Florida, Inc. / dba German International Parent Association (GIPA)